*UPDATE – You can check the video tutorial of this post here*
If you’re looking for API ingredients for your Windows 8 applications, go check out Mashape. They are an API Marketplace for your apps. Instead of Googling/Binging your way to find new APIs, Mashape consolidates them for you, ready to be consumed. No lengthy documentation whatsoever. (Well, we still have to pay attention to documentation sometimes). At this point they have 1100+ APIs listed there. That’s good news for you, especially if you’re in a rush to win a hackathon or something
For C#, they currently have documentation here – https://www.mashape.com/docs/consume/csharp. However if you’re looking for an async/await sample apt for your Windows 8 app, you’re in luck. I have posted a sample code in Github that uses HttpClient (REST) to access Mashape-hosted APIs.
Before you download and run it, you should know that –
- The sample uses Bitly and WordCloudMaker APIs from Mashape.
- For both services, you would need to get a Mashape Authentication Header.
- For Bitly, you need a developer login and legacy API key.
- For WordCloudMaker, no API key is needed.
- Once you have retrieved info for number 2 and 3, you can plug them in to fields at the very top of the MainPage.xaml.cs file
If you have questions or want to share a cool Windows 8/Mashape app that you’ve built, email email@example.com